DMV Physicals for DOT
DMV Physicals (DOT Physical Exams) in Palmdale
Dr. Katayoun Motlagh offers DMV/DOT physical exams for commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs) at her Palmdale, CA practice. Learn more below, or book an appointment with our certified DOT medical examiner today using the form on this page.
"Always trusted her with all my heart . She has saved me from two back surgeries. She is always readily available. Extremely smart and knowledgeable and caring .I highly recommend her ."- K.B. / Yelp / Aug 30, 2022
"Very professional and pleasant. Accurately assessed an abscess. We were seen promptly."- B.T. / Yelp / Aug 23, 2022
"Outstanding staff and service. Dr. Motlagh is very knowledgeable and helpful. I scheduled a microdermabrasion with Ashi, he explained the procedure I could already see results after and I didn’t wait when I arrived for my appointment."- C.H. / Google / Apr 02, 2022
"Dr. Motlagh, Ashi and her staff are the absolute best! They are helping me with my transformation year post baby and their help is greatly appreciated! Their kind and smiling faces make you feel comfortable when you arrive. Had my first lymphatic massage with Ashi yesterday post Beautifill lipo 3 weeks ago and it was amazing! Not painful at all and so relaxing. Just what I needed after being at work all day. I booked 5 more massages. Thank you Dr. Motlagh and staff for helping me get this transformation started. You guys are the best!"- A.N. / Google / Apr 01, 2022
"Today was my second facial appointment here with Ashi, who has quickly become my go to esthetician, not only is he great at this but caring and easy to talk to, he caters to everyone's individual needs and my skin is improving and I love this clinic"- G.B. / Google / Mar 18, 2022
What Is A DMV Physical For DOT?
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) must obtain from anyone who is applying for a commercial driver’s license (CDL) a particular and specific medical examination, which requires the completion of state and federal forms to provide medical clearance for CDL drivers. Medical clearance must also be obtained for a person starting the process with a commercial learner’s permit (CLP).
Dr. Katayoun Motlagh has certification in the State of California to perform these DMV physicals and complete the required paperwork.
Why Is A DMV/DOT Physical Exam Performed?
California, like every state, requires special DMV physical examinations and certification clearance for certain types of commercial vehicle drivers. Some states require taxi and limousine drivers to have a commercial driver’s license (CDL). A CDL must also be obtained and carried by truck drivers (where the gross vehicle rate or gross combination weight is up to a certain limit), bus/van drivers (up to a certain capacity of passengers), and any vehicle used to transport hazardous materials.
Anyone considering getting a commercial driver’s license should know the conditions under which the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations would disqualify a person based on his or her history. According to these laws, physical qualifications for drivers does not allow the issuance of a CDL if that person has now, or has had certain health conditions that would impair their ability to drive a vehicle, including:
- Loss of a foot, leg, hand, or arm
- Impairment of a hand or finger, arm, foot, or leg, or any other significant limb defect or limitation
- A medical history of diabetes requiring insulin
- A clinical designation of many types of heart diseases and conditions
- A condition of respiratory dysfunction
- A clinical diagnosis of high blood pressure
- A medical history of arthritic, orthopedic, rheumatic, muscular, neuromuscular, or vascular disease
- A mental, nervous, organic, or functional disease or psychiatric disorder
- Certain visual problems possibly with or without corrective lenses, including color blindness
- A hearing problem possibly with or without a hearing aid
- A history of controlled substance or drug use or diagnosed alcoholism
What Does A DMV/DOT Physical Exam Involve?
As a certified provider of DMV physical exams for DOT in the State of California, Dr. Motlagh will perform a thorough examination and submit certain samples for laboratory work, plus complete the necessary documentation forms required by both the state and the federal government. The last step of the process involves Dr. Motlagh signing and submitting the forms both to the state and to the federal government, along with her own assessment.
The DMV physical exam includes two parts, to be completed separately by the patient and the medical examiner.
Patient To Complete:
- Personal information: name, address, contact information, etc.
- Driver health history: surgeries, medications, etc.
- Detailed history: 32 questions about your own health history and conditions you have had
Dr. Motlagh To Complete:
Health History Review
The DMV health history review will include:
- Reviewing all elements of health history that may affect driving
- Reviewing all available medical records
DMV/DOT Physical Exam and Testing
The DMV physical exam and testing will involve:
- Performing a thorough physical examination
- Testing blood pressure
- Testing vision/visual acuity
- Testing hearing, including whisper and audiometric tests
- A urinalysis
- Evaluating the entire body system, including skin, eyes, ears, mouth, heart, chest, abdomen, genito-urinary system (hernias), back/spine, extremities, joints, neurological (including reflexes), extremities/joints, gait, vascular system
After the DMV exam and personal interview, Dr. Motlagh will specify one of the following classifications for the individual applying, based on the questions asked on the form:
- Does not meet standards
- Meets standards
- Meets standards, but periodic monitoring required
- Determination pending
- Incomplete examination
In the event that Dr. Motlagh recommends periodic monitoring, she must also determine how often that must take place.
- “Dr. Motlagh is one of the best doctors I have had the pleasure of working with. She is always professional and kind. She takes the time to talk with you and asks questions that maybe you haven’t asked yourself. She has truly gotten me through some very difficult times. I highly recommend her.” – L.H.
- “Dr. Motlagh is the most knowledgeable physician I have ever seen. That with the tremendous humanity and love of life in her makes her an extraordinary physician. Do yourself a favor and be seen by her!" – K.B.
Schedule Your Consultation Today!
If you are interested in learning more about DOT/DMV physical exams for CDL with Dr. Katayoun Motlagh, contact our office in Palmdale today or schedule an appointment by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.