Preoperative Physical Evaluations
Preoperative (Preop) Physical Evaluations in Palmdale
"Always trusted her with all my heart . She has saved me from two back surgeries. She is always readily available. Extremely smart and knowledgeable and caring .I highly recommend her ."- K.B. / Yelp / Aug 30, 2022
"Very professional and pleasant. Accurately assessed an abscess. We were seen promptly."- B.T. / Yelp / Aug 23, 2022
"Outstanding staff and service. Dr. Motlagh is very knowledgeable and helpful. I scheduled a microdermabrasion with Ashi, he explained the procedure I could already see results after and I didn’t wait when I arrived for my appointment."- C.H. / Google / Apr 02, 2022
"Dr. Motlagh, Ashi and her staff are the absolute best! They are helping me with my transformation year post baby and their help is greatly appreciated! Their kind and smiling faces make you feel comfortable when you arrive. Had my first lymphatic massage with Ashi yesterday post Beautifill lipo 3 weeks ago and it was amazing! Not painful at all and so relaxing. Just what I needed after being at work all day. I booked 5 more massages. Thank you Dr. Motlagh and staff for helping me get this transformation started. You guys are the best!"- A.N. / Google / Apr 01, 2022
"Today was my second facial appointment here with Ashi, who has quickly become my go to esthetician, not only is he great at this but caring and easy to talk to, he caters to everyone's individual needs and my skin is improving and I love this clinic"- G.B. / Google / Mar 18, 2022
What Is A PreOperative Evaluation?
Almost all patients who are scheduled to undergo surgery are required to see a medical doctor, such as a family medicine doctor, for a preop physical exam in order to ensure that they will be able to withstand the stresses involved with the operation itself. In addition, pre-surgical evaluations allow a physician to order any tests that may be necessary for obtaining information about a patient’s health that may be relevant to the surgery.
It is not necessary to be a regular patient of Dr. Katayoun Motlagh for her to provide a pre-operative evaluation for surgery. For instance, if you are a patient who needs a preop physical exam but your regular doctor is not available to provide an exam in time for the scheduled operation, Dr. Motlagh can help.
Why Is A PreOperative Evaluation Performed?
A complete preoperative physical examination helps identify any potential health problems and optimize success in the outcome of surgery. This is especially important for patients who have complicated medical histories or who have underlying conditions or chronic diseases. In some cases, the results of the evaluation may lead to additional preparation so that a high-risk patient will be better able to handle surgery.
One of the most common causes of complications during surgical procedures is anesthetic use. A person’s health history and preoperative evaluation will help the surgical team decide what anesthetic to use and the best way to administer it.
What Are The Advantages of PreOperative Evaluations?
Preoperative physical exams are beneficial in a number of ways:
- Allow your doctor to make recommendations designed to minimize risk before, during, and after surgery
- Prepare high-risk patients for surgery
- Guide what anesthetic to use
- Minimize the possibility that the surgery will need to be postponed or canceled
- May decrease the length of hospital stay after surgery
- Improve outcomes of surgery
- Guide postoperative management
What Does A PreOp Physical Exam Involve?
A preoperative evaluation typically includes the aspects of a complete physical examination, along with some additional elements.
During a preop physical exam, you can expect Dr. Motlagh to:
- Measure and record your height and weight
- Measure and record your blood pressure
- Listen to your heart and lungs
- Assess your ears, nose, and throat
- Gently palpate your belly to see if there are signs of tenderness
- Check your eyes and vision
- Evaluate joint flexibility, mobility, spinal alignment, and posture
- Check neurological functions such as reflexes, coordination, and strength
- Discuss any chronic conditions you have and medications you take
- Assess risk factors that may lead to cardiac, pulmonary, or infectious complications
- Inquire about your anesthesia history
- Inquire about any allergies or reactions you have had to certain types of drugs
Based on the findings of this initial evaluation, your medical history and the type of surgery you are scheduled to undergo, Dr. Motlagh may also include the following elements in your pre-operative exam:
- Laboratory testing/blood work
- Imaging studies, such as X-rays or an electrocardiogram (EKG)
When Is A PreOperative Evaluation Necessary?
Some of the types of surgery that require preop physical exams include:
- Bariatric (stomach) surgery
- Thoracic (chest) surgery
- Cardiac (heart) surgery
- Major intra-abdominal (abdomen) surgery
- Vascular (vein) surgery
Dr. Motlagh also evaluates patients prior to various other types of surgery, because preoperative physical examinations can help reduce the risk for even minor surgical procedures, depending on the patient’s age, underlying conditions, and overall physical health.